Saturday, January 3, 2009

Our new toy...Err... I mean Alan's work necessity

Alan starts his new job on Monday, and will be driving approx 150 miles round-trip every day. Yikes! Take into consideration that he has a Chevy Z-71 truck that he just bought some new mud tires for (not meant for too much road driving), and we decided that commute would put too much wear and tear on his truck (not to mention use too much gas). We looked at small cars for a couple of weeks, and finally decided on the VW Jetta. We found one we liked and bought it the Saturday before Christmas... Reason for buying it so early - it's a diesel, and we can get an alternative fuel tax credit that we wanted to go ahead and get for this year. Because of the diesel engine, we hear that he can get close to 60 mpg on the highway! Also, diesel engines are supposed to last much longer, so this mileage won't be a big deal.


Turbo Diesel - that means it goes really fast!
We have been driving it all over town since we got it, and have been fighting over who gets to drive. Look - it's a 6-speed! This is the first 6-speed I've ever driven (my Mustang was a 5-speed). Although, come to think of it, I personally have never gotten it into 6th gear because Alan won't let me drive it very long. He has done all the interstate driving so far. Grrrr...



Look at the cool "leatherette" seats (yes, that's what they're called - fancy talk for vinyl). I think VW doesn't believe in killing animals for the comfort of our hineys. That's just my take on it though.

1 comment:

KS said...

Getting a new car is so much fun! Yay for you guys!

Um, the security word it wants me to type in order to post this is "Unpoti"...I have to use it in a sentence just for fun: I had to go to the bathroom so now i have unpoti'd.