Saturday, August 9, 2008

Soccer Monster!

Nothing really extraordinary happened yesterday... We played at home all day and pretty much did the usual. We did play with our new cowboy hat and stick horse though (which broke later that same night). Carter LOVES being a cowboy and sings the "Riding the Range" song from Backyardigans all the time. This morning he woke up singing "Texas Here I Come" from the same episode ;) I think I picked the right theme for a birthday party this year when I chose a cowboy theme!

Later in the day, we played with bubbles... This is always a nice distraction when I can't handle things inside anymore, but don't want to go all the way outside (just onto our screened porch).
Today was much more exciting than yesterday. We went to soccer "tryouts" this morning, as Alan called it. We're enrolling Carter in a program at Soccer Blast called Turf Tykes - not really soccer, per se, but it's a program for children ages 3-5 to learn some soccer basics and really just have a good time playing on the indoor soccer field. We sang the "Soccer Monster" song from the Backyardigans all morning to prepare, and it's still in my head! Before we left, Carter wanted to wear his new school backpack and wanted me to take his picture on the way to soccer.
He also turned around and wanted me to take a picture of the actual backpack on him. Hard to see, but it has his name on it...

Since Carter isn't 3 yet, we had to go and let him play with an existing class so the coach could evaluate if he is ready or not. Carter caught on very quickly and followed directions extremely well (better than some who have been going a long time) - we're so proud! The coach gave us a thumbs up very early into the session, and when it was all over, he told us that we have done a very good job with Carter. It's always nice when other people confirm that our child is both a genius and super athletically gifted. Hehe ;) Carter absolutely LOVED soccer, and Coach Rob is so good with the kids! I was very impressed with the session and all the things that were incorporated.
Coach Rob explaining something to Carter...

The kids sitting down awaiting their next instruction (well, most of the kids sitting down)...

They had snacktime halfway through the session, and kids who don't listen well don't get as much snack as everyone else. One of the little boys had to get a much smaller snack than the others (look at the previous picture if you'd like to know who). I'd be willing to bet that before this is all over, Carter will have a couple of skimpy snacks too ;)

Charlie loved all the activity and he cheered his big brother on from the sidelines...

Soccer was really great for burning off lots of energy, and Carter was asleep before we left the parking lot!

We ran a few errands on the way home, and then Nana, PawPaw and Great Grandma came over to see the boys this afternoon. Thanks to PawPaw, my Mother's Day swing is finally hanging under our porch! Now I can sit there with Charlie and watch Carter play on his playset. Woo-hoo! Tonight, we all went to Jim 'N Nick's - one of my all time favorite restaurants! The server brought us a tiny basket of their famous cheese biscuits, and Alan quickly told her we'd need more. I had to explain that for Carter's birthday when we ordered catering from them, we ordered 9 dozen biscuits for about 25 people ;) Those things are dangerous! Note the biscuit in Carter's hand here... :)


Carter wanted to go to bed as soon as we got home - he turned down watching cartoons! I think maybe we should sign up for soccer every day of the week instead of just Wednesdays :) Of course, Charlie was wide awake and carrying on a great conversation! He's getting so good at "talking" and he even moves his mouth to mimic us when he makes noise. It reminds me of the Kung Fu movies where you see lips moving, but the sounds coming out don't match. It's the cutest thing! He also loves kicking his feet all the time - I can see soccer in his future too! Speaking of Charlie, I hear him crying right now (a rarity for him actually). Duty calls...

No comments: