Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Winds of Change

Today has been a very busy day, and I'm so exhausted! Charlie woke up at around 4:45 to eat, and I had to get up at 5:45 or so anyway, so I really didn't go back to sleep. We had to go to Carter's 3-year checkup, and then soccer. His checkup went really well - he was such a big boy and didn't cry when they drew blood! He just kept saying in a little pitiful voice, "I don't want to do this anymore..." Poor thing! The milestone checklist for 3 years was really funny. I hope I don't offend anyone, but some of the questions were things he has been doing for 2 years. Does he climb? Yes! Since he was in the womb! Does he go up and down stairs? Of course! We have a 3 story house! Can he put together a 3 piece puzzle? Um - how about the 48 piece puzzle featured on here a few days ago? Can other people understand him when he talks? Other people can't get him to shut up! I could go on about the funny questions, but you get the drift. It just seemed like it should be for a much younger child...

As far as the other stuff - he was in the 95th percentile for height (down a little, since he's usually off the charts) and 90th in weight (up significantly - he's usually 50-75). Guess we need to get a little more exercise to make up for all the activity he's not getting from daycare like he used to! Since he's so tall though, he doesn't look big at all to me - I can see his ribs and all his tummy muscles, and it seems like he's lost all his baby fat. Maybe it's just the height that brings it up... Or maybe I'm just so used to seeing him every day that I don't notice. Who knows?!?

After the doctor's visit, we went to soccer, and we came home to eat and rest for a little while. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold - not sure if it's just from exhaustion or what, but I'm feeling really crummy. I can't take medicine since I'm still feeding Charlie... Anyway, for dinner I decided we would go get take out Chinese food since they have a drive-through. Also, the hot broth soup sounded so good for my throat. On the way there, Carter said, "Mommy, I want broccoli with my dinner too." This is so funny because as of a couple of weeks ago, he hated broccoli! He's not a picky child by any means, but there are a few things he's decided he doesn't like. Well, I still put them on his plate anyway and figure that one day he'll venture out and try them. He recently tried broccoli again and he loves it! We had it for dinner last night (one of those steamable veggie bags - my new best friends!) and he cleaned his plate and asked for more! I'm so excited! Now, I just have to work on asparagus and tomatoes, and now squash (previously one of his favorites - not sure what happened).

After dinner, he was playing with a new dinosaur toy and pretended it was eating our food. He told the dinosaur not to do that, and the dinosaur did it anyway, so he pulled down the dinosaur's imaginary pants and undies to give it a spanking. Then he pulled them both back up and hugged the dinosaur. He said, "I love you, but you can't eat our food." Ha! You don't think this scenario has happened to him before, do you? Oh, and he's starting to play with imaginary friends a lot, which is fine, except that he really scared me tonight when he told me there was a man in our diamond room (dining room). GULP! I almost had a heart attack - I'm always on edge when Alan's out of town anyway. He looked so serious when he said it, and asked me who that man was (all the while looking in the dining room at an invisible person). I have the willies just remembering it!
It has been pretty chilly here lately (it was in the 20s this morning, but made much worse by the wind). I dressed Charlie in his "Arctic Tundra" outfit, which he was not too fond of. Carter told me that Charlie was dressed up like a sheep :)

Going to try to get some rest soon. Until tomorrow...

No comments: