Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grease is the word

Alan and I had a date night this week. It's funny, because we have had tickets to Grease for forever and I have really looked forward to it. However, I completely let it slip up on me, and my babysitter reminded me the night before - ha! I guess she would've shown up the next night and we would've been eating dinner in our jammies or something. :) Thank goodness for good babysitters who always check in ahead of time!
Anyway, I was rushing around like a mad woman yesterday, trying to get some things accomplished while the boys were in school. When they got home, I started some embroidery projects but ran out of thread in the middle of one. I didn't plan for time to make an emergency thread trip, but I had to go anyway! I couldn't turn off my machine since I had moved the design around on the screen a bit (wasn't sure I could get it back in the exact place the next time). We made it home just in time to get everything ready for the babysitter.

Alan and I headed off and ate dinner at Fire + Ice. Alan doesn't really like it that well because he's had much better in all his travels, but it's the only Mongolian BBQ place we have. He says ours ranks #3 out of the 3 chains he has tried. Hmmf. I have actually been to one of the others with him and, while they have a bigger selection, I prefer the atmosphere of Fire and Ice. However, our meals were good and we ate pretty quickly in order to make it to the show before the doors even opened.


Let me just take a minute to acknowledge that this may be the single most boring blog. Ever. However, keep reading if you want to put yourself to sleep...

The show was good, except they changed things a lot. I realize they make their own interpretation (or was the play around before the movie? I should know that, since it's in my top two favorite movies of all time). Being a Grease purist (from the movie perspective), it made me a little peeved. But it was still really good and the actors were talented. After the second act started, Taylor Hicks made his appearance as the Teen Angel. Wow, he really knows how to liven up a crowd! Everyone went wild during his performance - he even danced and played the harmonica :) Frenchie threw in a line in between his song lines and said, "I voted for you!" in her most Frenchie voice. It was pretty funny :) He played one of his new songs after the show was over - we weren't sure if it was just for the Birmingham audience (he made reference to his hometown) or if he is doing it to promote his CD.



As we were leaving, we were almost out the door when we saw Taylor coming through a door to go to his table and do autographs. He passed literally 2 feet from me and stopped and greeted the crowd (where we were). His handler was acting forceful in telling him to hurry up (!) and get through the crowd. I could've reached out and touched him or talked to him, but I really didn't know what to do with that. I'm not much of a celebrity stalker/attacker. The lady behind me, however, stopped him and talked to him. Pretty cool!

So, there you have it - the long wrap-up of our Grease date night. Now on to prepare for our next adventure (details coming soon)...

1 comment:

KS said...

Not boring at all!! I will out-bore any readers on mine a little later today when I go on and on about splitting my hostas and replanting :)