Monday, March 15, 2010

Quirky

Both our children have huge senses of humor. We are so grateful for that. They are also a bit quirky at times, probably like us. For instance, Carter is one of the least picky children I know. I'm very grateful for that also. However, he is convinced he doesn't like tomatoes. He used to like them but one day he just decided he doesn't, and he won't try one to save his life. Tonight I made a chunky tomato basil soup for dinner, but Alan very cleverly called it ketchup soup so we wouldn't hear any complaints. Anyway, Carter declared that it smelled like "pasketti" sauce. So all through dinner he kept saying how much he loves "pasketti" soup. We finally told him it was tomato soup and asked if he thought he might like tomatoes now, but he said, "No, I just like them in this 'pasketti' soup." I also served some cheddar jalepeno sourdough bread, and apparently his first bite had a big jalepeno because he said it was too spicy (he used to love spicy food). He said, "Well, I guess I don't like cheese bread anymore." :)

Along those lines, he will eat just about anything on pizza (we usually share one, and Alan gets the plain one - ha!). I made homemade pizzas last night - even cheese free slices for Charlie. On the one for Carter and me, I put turkey pepperoni, ham, black olives, fresh mushrooms, and red onions. He ate everything except the ham. Really? I mean, he picked olives off and ate them plain, and even ate my olives. Same with the fresh mushrooms. But no ham? This comes from a child who loves ham sandwiches and ham in any other form - he just declared he doesn't like ham on pizza.

Tonight I was trying to get him to recap the story from the Bible about how the Disciples (I guess Apostles, after that point) went fishing after Jesus' resurrection, and they didn't catch any fish until Jesus came to the shore and told them to cast their nets to the right side of the boat. He got tired of that story so he started telling his own version. After a while, the story was that they caught SO many fish during the night, that their boat started sinking. So then another boat drove up and they put some of the fish on that boat, but then that boat started sinking also. It became a big story about tons of fish and how all the people were in the water, etc. I love his imagination and didn't know whether to correct him or not...? :)

And I thought we had successfully cleared the whole Yo Gabba Gabba! thing, because Carter has never really liked it. In my opinion, it's the dumbest show ever on, since H.R. Pufnstuf (which is also a very scary show to me). Anyway, it was on today by accident, and Charlie LOVED it. He danced for a long time and then jumped up and down in excitement. Please tell me we don't have to start watching it...?

1 comment:

KS said...

I have to side with Carter on the pickiness about the vehicle for certain ingredients. I love green peppers raw, and love them grilled, but I HATE them on pizza or in Chinese food. :)