Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Latest obsessions

I don't have any interesting family pictures, so I thought I would include some that are related to this post. I'm tired of not having any pictures to post!

I think I forgot to mention that Charlie recently had to go back to the doctor because he just wasn't getting any better from all his allergy and breathing medicines. In fact, he seemed worse. It turned out that he had his first ear infection (at almost 2 years old, that's probably pretty good, considering how he stays sick). I'm glad my children have good ears. Anyway, he was put on a super strong antibiotic in addition to 5 days of oral steroids (plus the inhaled ones and all his other medication). He is MUCH better. I think he must have had some sort of bronchitis/bronchialitis or something of that nature also.

He is doing so much better and not having coughing fits anymore, so, against his doctor's wishes, we've stopped the breathing treatments. I am not convinced he has full blown asthma - he's never had any trouble breathing, only a persistent cough that I think is more related to his allergies and persistent "juiciness," as his regular pediatrician calls it. I feel like a bad mom no matter what I do. I don't want to have to sit on him and torture him to try and hold him down for his treatments 3x/day, but I absolutely would if I thought they were helping in any way. He actually seems better off those treatments than on them. Everything seems to have gone away after the last round of antibiotics and steroids.

Charlie is obsessed with Dora. He stops whatever he's doing if he hears it coming on, and dances, dances, dances! He carries around a little Dora figure (hard plastic) and even sleeps with it, in addition to two hard plastic cars. Today at Wal-Mart, he read a Dora book the entire time (that we ended up accidentally purchasing). Carter always loved Dora also, but we pushed Diego and refused to buy Dora stuff for him, for fear he might want to be her for Halloween (a story we heard from some friends) or something like that. But I don't think Carter loved her quite as much as Charlie does, so we might have to give in and buy some Dora things...



Carter LOVES bananas. If I let him, he would eat an entire bunch every day. He also wants to eat them like a monkey (with the peel still on the bottom). Alan told him that monkeys eat the entire thing - peel and all. Last night, he came and sat in my lap, and said, "Mommy, do monkeys eat the stickers on bananas, too?" It seemed like he had been pondering this one for a while...


Carter is now obsessed with the Food Network. He loves just about any cooking show, but particularly the Neelys or Guy Fieri (he asks for the guy with the spiky hair). He watched several shows last night and kept saying, "Yum!" at all they were cooking. After Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, he declared that he wanted to go eat at one of those restaurants on Thursday. Then he proceeded to ask when Thursday would be. He said he just wants to go see what they have on their kids' menu. And then a Werther's commercial came on, and he declared we would eat that for "bessert" on Thursday. :) Today we watched several shows during quiet time, and he said, "Mommy, all the cooking shows use garlic." Very observant! He thought it was very cool to watch Tyler Florence cook half lobsters (split vertically) and prepare oysters on the half shell. He always wants to try those when I get them, but I think he's still too young? Not sure what age can start eating those.

4 comments:

Holly :) said...

Even though you don't have any pics of the kids on here, it was still a very informative blog about the kiddos and what they like. :) We LOVE Guy Fieri and Food Network, too! Carter might grow up to be a chef - we would love to help him taste taste any new recipes! :) And I'll remember that about Charlie...lots of Dora presents coming right up for his birthday! :)

Shelly Powers said...

dora is at the mcwane center right now... you take charlie to see her... he would love it... we look brylee today!

KS said...

I'm not sure what the 'rule' is about kids eating shellfish or whatever, but I'd let him try anything he's willing to try to help him become an adventurous eater! What a cool little kid :)

Melissa said...

Karen, those oysters are raw, so I was worried about food poisoning in his little body. When do you think children can start eating those?