Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Pet Peeve

Because I know you're all wondering, "What's bothering Melissa today?", I thought I'd take a moment and share with you one of my biggest pet peeves. Rude people. Particularly this generation (or generations) of "me firsts."

First of all, if you are in the grocery line and someone opens a new line, there are 3 general groups of people who should go first. Elderly. Pregnant women or people with small children and babies (particularly if they are fussy, as Charlie was today). People who were in line before you. If you are in the very back of a line and don't fall into the first two categories, it is not your turn to be first in line at the new checkout stand. Period. This rule is quadrupled (or more) if you are a man. I cannot stand to see rude men or guys who, given an opportunity, don't let women go first (through doors, in line for food, don't give up their seats for elderly and women, etc). Perhaps that's antequated, but it's the way I was raised and I think it's the way it should be. Can I get an Amen?

Actually, women in my family don't feel entitled... Rather, everyone treats others kindly. At family functions, I'm surprised anyone gets to eat, because everyone stands back and says, "You first." "No, you first." And on and on. I don't mean that to sound high and mighty by any means - lest I would risk being unmannerly (I know I am just as guilty of being without manners as the next person at times). I just wonder what has happened to common courtesy and why we all act like a bunch of wild animals with these "me first" attitudes. I think everyone should take a mandatory course in manners. Speaking of which, a private school I was looking into provides classes on grace and courtesy to all kids, starting at toddler age. How awesome is that?!?

Last night at Best Buy, I saw some punk with a backwards baseball cap park in the spot reserved for pregnant women or those with small children. He was by himself and perfectly capable of parking 3 spots down. I'll bet he will never know what a difference 3 parking spots mean to a woman in her 9th month of pregnancy, with tired, swollen feet. I also thought that if he had been raised by my parents, he wouldn't be able to sit down for a week with an attitude like that. Mind you, I have never been spanked once, but I just think it would've happened in this case.

My dad is the biggest gentleman I know. He ALWAYS held the door for my mom and me, and opened and shut our car doors, even when we had electric locks. I haven't ridden with him in a while, but he does still let me walk first, opens doors, etc and I know he treats my mom with the greatest respect - they both do with each other. I admire that and hope they know how much that means to me.

Today, the grocery store scenario happened to me. Charlie was sooo fussy and I was waiting patiently, trying to calm him down, when a new line opened. I tried to get to it when someone from the very back of the line started moving toward it. I nonchalantly went in front, as if she had wanted me to, and said, "Thank you so much for letting me go ahead. My baby is overdue for his nap." Now, I realize that's a "me first" attitude myself, but I fit into one of the categories allowed to go first. See how that works? :)

4 comments:

Holly :) said...

LOVE IT! I totally agree! You definitely get an "Amen" from me! :) I can't stand rude people!!!!!

Brittany said...

Two words for you- SELF CHECKOUT!

I want to find the person who thought of it and kiss them.

I agree with you- almost 100% :) The only reason I don't agree 100% is because usually that elderly person has exact change in pennies or so many coupons I want to choke them. I was a victim of an elderly encounter just the other day and I am still a little bitter.

Ellen said...

You are so right and I'm LOL because I can imagine this is the kind of thing we would here our parents discuss not so very long ago.

KS said...

Here's your AMEN! AAAMEEEN! Thank you!! Preach it, sista!