Saturday, January 22, 2011

Disney World!

The day after Thanksgiving, we headed down to Disney World for Carter's 5th birthday. We waited to leave until after the Iron Bowl, and we stopped in Tifton, GA and spent the night. The boys were asleep in the car, and when Charlie woke up and realized he was in a hotel bed, he was SO excited! He didn't get out of bed, but he just shivered with excitement and it was so cute!  Nana and Pawpaw went with us, and we met up with them in Tifton. 
We got up the next morning, ate breakfast, and headed to Orlando. We arrived sometime in the early afternoon and checked in to our cabin - we stayed at the Fort Wilderness cabins. I definitely recommend them if you need plenty of space (a separate bedroom, living area, kitchen, etc). It is more space/rooms than just a hotel room but it's much cheaper than getting a hotel suite with a separate bedroom.

IMG_5697

IMG_5698

I liked having a kitchen, and also liked being able to park right in front of your cabin; this made for easy loading/unloading and running errands.cabin

We went straight the Magic Kingdom after getting settled.

IMG_5703IMG_5705

Our first ride was a HUGE mistake. I didn't read my book before going, and since there wasn't a long wait, we tried out Stitch's Great Escape. Not only is it pointless (it's not a ride at all - just a weird animatronic show where you are locked into your chair), but it was SCARY. Carter cried big time, and we couldn't get up and leave. After getting back to the room, I read in our Unofficial Guide to Disney World that they think it's probably the worst creation at Disney World, and it scares almost all children. So much for buying that book to prepare ahead... Carter STILL talks about that ride.  Charlie wasn’t tall enough – thank goodness!  I also read in the book that the height requirement has been increased a few times for that, just so young children don’t do it because of the scariness factor.  I was really worried about how all the other rides would be (and how Carter would do) since this was our first thing to try.  Thank goodness everything else was much better!

IMG_5708IMG_5707IMG_5715IMG_5706

We ate dinner and wandered around for a while, rode several more (less scary) rides, and then watched the Electrical Parade on our way out.  I’m glad we did, because this ended up being the only night we were there that late to catch it.IMG_5732

Carter bought 2 light sabers with his own money – one for him and one for Charlie.  Even though they are mostly broken now, they still love them!

 IMG_5719IMG_5722

The next day, we headed to the Magic Kingdom again.  Charlie decided he needed sunglasses to match Carter’s.  This was the one and only moment he wore them.

IMG_5747IMG_5774IMG_5750

We had lunch at the Crystal Palace, which was a character lunch.  All the characters were from Winnie the Pooh (which I do not like very much), but they were all cute and the boys liked them.  Tigger kept knocking off my sunglasses – apparently he’s a jokester!

IMG_5753IMG_5762IMG_5765IMG_5766IMG_5770

Charlie wasn’t too sure about Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride at first…IMG_5779IMG_5788IMG_5793IMG_5797

Splash Mountain was one of Carter’s favorite rides also…  He went several times (he even talked me into going once – I got soaked, and it was about 50 degrees that day!).

IMG_5808IMG_5810

IMG_5813

That night, we went to Downtown Disney and ate at T-Rex.  The boys LOVED it!

IMG_5827IMG_5828IMG_5835IMG_5824

The next day we went to Epcot.  While there were several things that we really loved (and we would definitely go back for some of our favorites), it was our least favorite park.  There wasn’t as much for our young children, so we only spent about a half day there.  It was worth the half day though – some of Carter’s favorite things were there (Mission: Space, Spaceship Earth, Soarin’, and the Nemo ride and show).

IMG_0003IMG_0006IMG_0018

For lunch, Carter and I went to “Japan” and had sushi while the rest of the group went to “America” for burgers and fries.  He’s definitely my child!  I really love getting to spend time with him by himself.

IMG_0028IMG_0025

The boat ride across the lake in Epcot…  We took many boat and bus rides, and a monorail ride during our trip.  Fun stuff.IMG_0036IMG_0039

After Epcot, we rode the monorail to the Contemporary to eat at Chef Mickey’s.  I think I speak for everyone when I say that this was our favorite.  The food was good, the characters were great, and everyone was happy.

IMG_0043IMG_0045IMG_0049IMG_0051IMG_0061IMG_0060IMG_0052IMG_0057

The next day was Hollywood Studios (which I kept calling MGM while we were there).  The first thing we rode was Tower of Terror.  I have NO idea how someone talked me into getting on that freefall of death.  It was AWFUL.  Carter wasn’t scared during the falling part though – he thought that was fun.  Instead, he was scared by the fake ghost/haunty stuff. 

IMG_0077IMG_0078IMG_0064IMG_0073IMG_0081IMG_0082IMG_0088IMG_0089

This dude from Toy Story was funny!  There were several of them along the street…  He signed his autograph, “Green Army Man.”  I don’t know what else he would have put, but I just thought it was funny!

IMG_0202IMG_0203IMG_0204IMG_0206

We waited in line for about 50 minutes to meet Buzz and Woody.  You get to go through Andy’s room and take pictures in different spots.  Our boys were tired and wild, so this only kept them entertained for the first couple of things.IMG_0207IMG_0210

But oh my goodness – I would have waited for 7 days for this moment!  If I could bottle this and keep it forever, I would!  The boys LOVED, LOVED, LOVED meeting Buzz and Woody.  I still get tears in my eyes thinking about it!  Charlie kept wanting to hug Woody, even when we were trying to make them line up for a picture.  By far, this was the best moment of the entire trip. 

IMG_0216IMG_0217

On another note, there was a couple in front of us waiting (they were grown and have grandchildren).  The man had his picture made in front of EVERY photo op place, and he had his photo made with the characters.  Does anyone else find it strange for a grown-up to wait that long and go through all that?  I kept secretly wishing he would let us go in front, since our boys were LOSING it with all the waiting.

IMG_0218IMG_0219

Toy Story Mania was one of our absolute FAVORITE rides (how many favorites can we have, right?).  But get there early – when we got our fast passes at about 10:00 a.m., our return time was for 7:30 p.m., I think. 

IMG_0220

Carter's absolute FAVORITE was Indiana Jones... He kept begging to go back to see the show again.  I remembered many parts of it from when I was little.  It must have been my favorite also!IMG_0094

IMG_0107IMG_0111IMG_0122IMG_0123IMG_0124IMG_0128IMG_0131

Honey, I shrunk Carter and Charlie!IMG_0137

The fastest slide in America! Carter would only go on this once, and many children were scared to go down it.  I still haven’t figured out how he stopped at the bottom – I thought he might land in another park!

IMG_0135

Hollywood and Vine features characters from Playhouse Disney. I didn't know who most of them were, so I usually just said, "Hey, You!"

I knew this was Handy Manny, but I think that’s the only one I knew… 

IMG_0096IMG_0097IMG_0098IMG_0100

Charlie loved dancing with the characters at Hollywood and Vine! He was so cute, trying to run up and hug them all!IMG_0102

IMG_0101

IMG_0160IMG_0161

IMG_0172IMG_0170IMG_0171

We went to a really loud (and awesome) car stunt show...IMG_0185IMG_0182IMG_0183

IMG_0199

And Charlie slept through it all! He was SO TIRED!

IMG_0187

The pictures do not do this justice. The Osbourne Lights at Hollywood Studios were beautiful! They were all in tune with the music...

IMG_0221

The next day, we headed to Animal Kingdom, which quickly became one of our favorite parks. 

IMG_0436IMG_0248

We had to eat at the Rainforest Café, of course…

IMG_0226IMG_0277

Ugh – a terrible picture of me, but I wanted to show our matching shirts.

IMG_0269

While in the Animal Kingdom one day, we ate at the Tusker House restaurant in Africa.  That was one of our favorite meals also, even though the menu looked not so promising.  They even gave us a recipe for something we really loved.IMG_0249IMG_0459

IMG_0253

The bird show was pretty phenomenal!  A definite don’t-miss!!!  Just look at Carter’s face below…

IMG_0465IMG_0471IMG_0473

A hawk flew right over our heads!  I’m surprised it didn’t hit Alan’s cap.

IMG_0474

The Tree of Life…  It’s Tough to be a Bug is held in this tree, and it was really great.  Lots of surprises!

IMG_0252IMG_0443

IMG_0442IMG_0441

On the last day of the trip, Carter finally got mouse ears and buttons (for birthday and first visit).  Next time we will do better!IMG_0446

Everest – another of Carter’s absolute favorite rides.  I think he went on it 3 or 4 times, and he actually talked me into doing it also.  As an avid roller-coaster AVOIDER, it wasn’t that bad.  I would do it again.  Maybe.  For an undisclosed sum of money.

IMG_0257IMG_0259

We LOVED the safari!!!

IMG_0279IMG_0281IMG_0289

IMG_0329IMG_0296

Hard to see, but this is a baby giraffe!

IMG_0301

These trees are really neat…

IMG_0308IMG_0299IMG_0303IMG_0315IMG_0323

We love Nemo, so of course we went to the Nemo musical show.  It was really great and the boys loved it!IMG_0331IMG_0335

I don't have good pictures of this because you can't use flash photography, but the Lion King show in Animal Kingdom was probably our favorite show - it was really, really great. IMG_0352IMG_0342IMG_0343IMG_0346IMG_0347

Can you spot the person???

IMG_0453IMG_0449

This dude saw me taking his picture from afar and posed for me.

IMG_0457

This was so funny... We saw signs like this everywhere, and Carter would look at them and say, "No food and drink, no radios, and no fire-breathing." So now when we see a no-smoking sign, we call it a fire-breathing sign.

IMG_0361

Sweet brothers (most of the time)!

IMG_0362

IMG_0373IMG_0384IMG_0375IMG_0378IMG_0380

Our little friend who decided to stay with us...

IMG_0365

This was up there on our list of favorite places to eat. I don't think it takes the #1 spot, but we would definitely eat there again. Everyone is so funny there! IMG_0392IMG_0397

Carter participated in the stick horse race. IMG_0395IMG_0393

Our favorite ride - we rode it at least 6 or 18 times.

IMG_0405IMG_0406

Oh no! The boys are in jail with Zurg!

IMG_0411IMG_0416

Uh-oh, Carter was driving us!IMG_0414

And Charlie was driving too, but he wasn't even watching where he was going!

IMG_0418

One of Carter's favorite rides - It's a Small WorldIMG_0421IMG_0420

IMG_0004

IMG_0434IMG_5704

IMG_0492IMG_0494

We saw Mercedes from Glee filming a commercial. I was so surprised at how close I could get - I just walked right up!IMG_4927

We tried to get wonderful pictures in front of the castle, but weren't very good at it...

IMG_4924IMG_4936

We were there from Saturday through Friday (we were supposed to be there Saturday through Saturday, but we were kind of ready to come home a day early – what?!?).  We spent about 2 days in the Animal Kingdom, 1 (very full) day in Hollywood Studios, 1/2 day in Epcot, and the rest of the time (including some nights after we finished at other parks) at the Magic Kingdom. 

What a wonderfully awesome trip, with memories to last a lifetime.  I cannot wait until we go back again!!!

P.S. More pictures here.

2 comments:

The Hairstons said...

I love every single picture (and every single outfit!) It looks like you guys had a great time!

Holly :) said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics! I'm so glad you finally updated the blog! It looks like y'all had so much fun! What wonderful memories...makes me even more excited to go!!!! YAY for Disney!!!