Friday, August 21, 2009

Keeping up with the Joneses

Haha - I crack myself up with that title, since it's also the title of Holly's blog ;) The ongoing joke with our good friends, the Joneses, is that we always have to match... It doesn't matter who does what first, the other follows suit. For instance, they bought a house, and then a year or so later, we moved to the same town (after having lived in separate cities). We used to have an Expedition, and so did they. I used to have an Acura and so did they (still do, actually). Then, we had matching Tahoes for a long time. Same color and everything. So when they recently did something I said I would never do, I started to feel my resolve cracking. I was totally aware that this was happening, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. The Joneses purchased a minivan. (Insert scary Psycho music here).


I tried to resist - I said the Tahoe, or possibly a Suburban, was as mommymobile as I would go. It's just hard to look cool in a minivan... Enter Alan. Alan, out of pure curiosity, checked to see our payout on the Tahoe. Surprise! We were not upside down, like we sometimes are. I agreed to look, just to appease his curiosity. Well, let's just say I am easily wowed by cubbyholes, bells, whistles, etc. Give me a bright, shiny object and I'll be fascinated all day. So, we did about the coolest thing we could do in minivanland. We bought a VW van. The salesman even had the Grateful Dead station on when we picked it up - hardee har har :) I have to say that I really do like this thing. It's very functional and fun to drive. And it looks cooler in person than in these pictures - in fact, it is frequently mistaken for a very cool sportscar instead of a minivan. Ok, maybe not that last part. But at least I didn't get the wood grain to complete the package...

Notice the cute, pink AU sticker on the back. Alan feels extra-cool now when driving it.

By the way - thanks to Nana and Pawpaw for volunteering to keep the boys while we looked at cars. I don't think they knew they were getting into an all day ordeal, but we couldn't have bought a car with the kids in tow!

2 comments:

Holly :) said...

Cool minivan. Not as cool as ours...but at least you are still trying to Keep Up with the Joneses. It can be your lifelong goal. :)

Why don't you get a cool new SUV next and we can copy you...I'm ready for a cool car again...and I've only had the minivan for 4 weeks! It's functional...but I'm way to cool for it. :)

Holly :) said...

Just realized I wrote "to" cool instead of "too" cool...didn't want to delete my comment just to retype that one word. Just know that I was typing too fast and not paying attention. I TOTALLY know which "to" to use in that sentence. :)