Sunday, May 22, 2011

Spring Break!

Wow, I can’t believe I haven’t blogged in 2 months!!!  I had this post all ready to go, but I didn’t have the pictures to go with it so I was waiting before I posted…  So, here is our Spring Break post, 2 months late!

This week was Spring Break for us.  I’m sure that doesn’t mean quite as much, since the boys just go to MDO, but next year when Carter is in kindergarten, I’m sure it will be a much welcomed break.  We have tried to do something fun every day, even if it’s just playing in the backyard with friends.  We have played with the Purkeys a few times (on their new playset, and at our house) and the Deans a time or two. 

Wednesday, Gigi met us and we planned to go to the McWane Center to see the Backyardigans (our FAVORITE!), but the parking deck was full…  We knew that if the parking deck was full, the building was bound to be a mad house, so we decided to do something different instead (we couldn’t just go home after promising a fun day!).  Carter was disappointed, but decided he wanted to go bowling…  Well, we talked him out of that and went to eat in Crestline and then went to the zoo instead.  I love the zoo!  Many of the animals were napping, but it was still a fun day.  And even when the zoo parking lot is completely full, it is still much better than being in an enclosed building full of people!  Lots more space for people to spread out…  They are also just about finished building their Trails of Africa exhibit, and it is going to be so nice!!!  They have a new playground and a big nice café/outdoor eating space overlooking the African savannah.  They had an elephant on display (the exhibit doesn’t officially open for another month or so) and Charlie was in heaven!  He loves elephants!  I only wish we had gone to a show or two…  They had lots of activities going on in different animal exhibits.  Next time, we will definitely try to see the sea lion show. 

We went to the park, and our favorite local ice cream man showed up.  It’s fun to know someone who owns an ice cream truck!

IMG_5257IMG_5256

This didn’t happen during Spring Break (it was President’s Day, I believe), but our little family went to Oak Mountain for the day and hiked around the Lake Trail.  It was a fun day – very beautiful outside and fun to just walk around nature.  Charlie’s favorite thing was to throw rocks into the stream.  He got tired so Alan carried him most of the way back.  Carter has endless energy and ran circles around everyone the entire time. 

IMG_5243IMG_5235IMG_5238

IMG_5248IMG_5251IMG_5245

It was this little excursion that convinced me to have knee surgery.  I had a knee injury November 1 (before Disney World and everything), and my knee still wasn’t better.  After walking around this little trail – no hills or anything – my knee hurt for at least 3 days, and it hasn’t been useful since my initial injury.  More on the surgery in a later post…

No comments: