About a week and a half before Easter, I had surgery to correct my knee injury. I dislocated my knee back in November while in my favorite aerobics class, and tore my medial patellofemoral ligament. Although I put it back in place right away, it did not heal in the correct place, and was tracking to the right. After 6 months of having a non-functional knee (I could really only go up stairs or get out of chairs with my left leg – I could see a big difference in my muscle sizes, and my left knee felt like it was being worn out!), I decided to have the necessary surgery.
The doctor released a ligament on the outside of my knee, pulled the patella over and attached it by doing a tendon transplant from my hamstring. This involves drilling into bones and a long incision – stuff I don’t even like to think about! Apparently this is a more rare injury than people who tear their ACL, MCL, or meniscus. According to my therapist, it’s more intricate and delicate, so the recovery is much slower. Boo! I am now at 6 weeks out, and can (with much pain and forced pressure) bend my knee to about 90 degrees. I am still in a brace, locked at zero degrees, and am just now down to 1 crutch. I am still icing it regularly and have to keep it propped up, as it still swells a lot. I didn’t think it would be a walk in the park, but this is just no fun! Plus, I can’t drive until they unlock the brace, which may not be for another couple of weeks. Thank goodness for Gigi! Gigi has been living with us during the week, taking the kids to school and all their activities, taking me to therapy, etc.
Thankfully, Gigi was here to take us to an Easter egg hunt… I think this was my first real outing after surgery (other than therapy).
Charlie sticking out his tongue for no reason
Sweet buddies
Easter morning, the boys woke up to lots of treats from the Easter Bunny.
Also on Easter Sunday morning, we all went to church – my first time at church after surgery. It was also the last time for a little while. I’m just now getting back in the swing of things, on a very slow, small scale. After church, Gigi and Papa came over for lunch and we all had a fun afternoon.


1 comment:
YAY for updating the blog! Great updates...and great pics!!! :)
Post a Comment