Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Swing-n-squat

As many of you know, I have been in shape several times in my life. I grew up skinny and didn't completely fall apart until after college. The most recent time I was in pretty good shape was right before I got pregnant with Carter (sad, I know). I was at the gym every day and aspired to run in a race that summer. However, the pregnancy nausea quickly killed my ability to do more than about 7 minutes of exercise without almost losing my breakfast. Before I got pregnant with Charlie, I had just joined a local gym. Then of course, the nausea set in. I'd like to go now, but they don't allow children. Ever. So, I'm stuck paying a monthly fee until that runs out and I can join the YMCA, where they have childcare. I can't diet just yet, unless I move Charlie to formula, so exercise is my best bet. My need for exercise, coupled with seeing myself in pictures recently, resulted in a new exercise I've named the "swing-n-squat."

As I was swinging Carter on his playset yesterday, I realized it was sort of a decent improvised upper body workout. The swing is not all that easy to push, and Carter likes to go REALLY high and fast, so I have to push pretty hard and put a lot of oomph into it. I was thinking, "I wish I could work out my lower body too..." Then, a lightbulb moment. I could push Carter, do a squat, and then stand up by the time I needed to push him again. Repeat, repeat, etc... Since he likes to swing for a long time, I could really get a workout! Now, I'm trying to figure out how to do lunges and get back up before being hit in the head. For now, I'll do a lunging walk everywhere I go. If you see me and I'm walking normally, slap me and remind me of my intentions. Sure, people will think I'm strange, but imagine how cute I'll be in my bikini next year.

Enough about the dire state of my fitness level. I haven't taken many pictures of the past week, and honestly can't remember what we've done! I rely on pictures to remind me of all our adventures. Carter's new soccer session started last week, and one of his friends from church joined too. I'm glad his friend joined his class, and more glad that I know someone there that I can talk to. The other moms are friendly and we chat, but most of them already know each other so I never knew the other people or stories they were talking about.

Last Thursday, we had a very busy day after school. First, we had a dentist appointment. Carter hasn't been in 6 months (like most people), yet as soon as we pulled into the parking lot he knew where we were. He said, "Are we at the dentist, and I can get a toy out of the box?" How do kids have such good memories, and I can't remember what we had for dinner last night? This was his first time sitting in the chair all by himself, and also the first time he had a real cleaning with the "tickle brush." He did a great job and kept his mouth open for them the whole time, never complaining! It helps that they are so great with kids, and they also have a tv with cartoons on above his chair :)


After the dentist, we came home for a few minutes and then went to Carter's hair appointment. It was way past time for his hair to be cut! As you'll see in the pictures going forward, he is much less shaggy :)

Climbing in and out of the window going to the screened porch (we aired out the house on Saturday). He thought this was so funny!

Carter put on my pot holders and pretended to box, or "fox" as he likes to call it. "I'm going to do foxing, Mommy! I have my foxing glubs (gloves) on!" He's so funny with words sometimes... He knows the real word and will correct himself sometimes, but it's hard to erase the memory of what he first thought the word was. By the way - Ms Colly, you are now Ms Holly most of the time. I'm very sad about this one.

Charlie was very fussy at one point Saturday, and I thought he was sleepy but I couldn't get him to take a nap. I thought, "well, maybe he's hungry..." I tried feeding him some baby food, and he fell asleep almost right away. I guess my first instincts were right after all! He slept in his high chair for a long time until I thought he looked uncomfortable. Of course, moving him always wakes him up. Ugh.

He also started using his exersaucer for the first time, and he loves it! Big brother Carter likes to help him figure out the toys, too. It's nice that he has such a great big brother who loves to play with him. I'm being told I should enjoy these moments of brotherly love because they will not last forever!

I'm obsessed with Charlie's fat rolls lately - I love them! Here are a couple of cute pictures, although they don't truly capture those fat legs... Ride 'em, cowboy!

Yesterday we played outside a lot. Although it was very overcast and wet because it rained the night before, the temperature was perfect, in the 70s! We played on the driveway for at least an hour in the morning, and then played on the playset and in the back yard later in the day. Carter absolutely loves this pool noodle, and he pretended it was a blower so he could blow the leaves. Note the jogging stroller with flat tires in the background ;)

Carter wasn't feeling well today, so I kept him home from school. He woke up at 5 this morning and told us he needed a bucket (for reasons you can guess but I will leave out). Well, he didn't get sick, but he kept telling us he was hot (even though he didn't have a fever). Later, he told me he was really cold. He is feeling much better now, but still resting on the couch and watching cartoons. He's started answering the people on TV when they ask questions and it's so funny - that's what he's doing with Diego right now. I had to cancel my hair appointment for today, but luckily Wendy was able to fit me in next week.


No comments: