Friday, September 12, 2008

From the mouth of Carter


Carter was sick yesterday and was sent home from school early - I took him to the doctor just to be sure the bad bump on the head from the night before wasn't the reason, but apparently it was a virus and he's pretty much all better today. We haven't done much the past couple of days because of his illness, but I did want to share a few of the funny/sweet (and not-so-sweet) things he's said lately...

A couple of nights ago, he had been in bed for a while when he called me to come upstairs. He couldn't think of anything he wanted or needed - he just didn't want to go to sleep. He said, "Mommy! I need... I need... I need... I need... Ummmm.... I need ANYTHING!!!"

Sitting on my bathroom counter while I was getting ready, I put some water in his hair to tame the bed head (yes, the one you saw in the previous post) and he said, "Mommy, it's RAINING in here!"

The truth hurts... Another time this week, he was sitting on my counter while I was getting ready (he likes to do this), and he handed me my makeup bag. I was in the middle of my hair, and told him I didn't need my makeup. He said, "Yes you do! You do need your makeup, Mommy!" On the way out the door the same day, he handed me a baseball cap and said, "Here, Mommy - wear this." I told him I didn't need to wear a cap, and he said, "Yes you do!" Later that day, he wanted to play in the den, and told me there wasn't enough room because there was too much stuff on the floor. Ha!

Several times this week when I've been getting ready, he comes into the bathroom and in the cutest voice says, "Mommy, stop that! That makes me cry!" (He's referring to the hair dryer - he doesn't like the sound, although he's never cried about it). I guess he's trying a new tactic...

And today, he didn't get a nap, unless you count a 10 minute one in the car. After dinner and a trip to Kohl's to buy Daddy some pants for his trip next week, he told us to turn off the TV in the car so he could close his eyes and go to sleep, because he was sleepy. He NEVER wants to give it up and go to sleep willingly - he must've been exhausted!!! I think I even heard him saying his prayer to himself in the car, although I couldn't get him to tell me if that's what he was doing.

He's a laugh-a-minute (when he's not getting into trouble, that is), and I'm sure he said a million more funny things this week, but these are the ones I could remember!

Some of the new things he says that I DON'T like are all the made-up words. No, I don't mind cute made-up words, but he makes up things for his convenience. He'll hit me, or throw something, and say, "I didn't hit you, I just (insert made up word here) you." He thinks that if he calls it something different, it's not the same thing. UGH!

1 comment:

KS said...

I'm laughing at his made-up words. You are in trouble when he's a teenager and tries to rationalize anything...he might actually have some good, irrefutable points (which is when you pull out the "because I said so" card). He sounds so darn cute!