Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Incident

A couple of months ago I was downstairs about to start sewing. I saw something that looked like a random piece of fabric (there are fabric scraps EVERYWHERE when you have a sewing room and a business). I went to pick it up, and it moved. OH. MY. I first thought it was a worm, but then I realized it wriggled, and it was totally NOT a worm. A baby snake!!!

I just happened to be on the phone with Holly when I saw it, and she was going through panic mode with me, but she managed to look it up online when I described it. It was a ring-necked snake, and apparently they are very common in basements in the fall.

Alan wasn't home, and I couldn't find any neighbors or anyone else who were home to help me so I kept panicking. I finally got up the nerve to put a glass over it (Holly still on the phone) and it made noises at me! She sent Jonathan over when he got home from work, and he took it out and killed it for me. When I looked it up online later, I found out that they are very private, nocturnal, and sometimes live in colonies of up to several hundred. That didn't make me feel too good about the possibilities of having more that we just couldn't see (because they hide from people). But I also read that the young leave their mothers shortly after birth, so I guess I didn't have a momma to worry about...

When I had finally calmed down a bit (before Jonathan came over), I got Carter to come downstairs to look at it. He got about 6-8 feet from it and said, "Ok, I've seen it. That's enough." He then ran back upstairs - ha! That's my boy! Also, that night at aerobics, I had so much EXTRA energy, I felt like I could have run 5 miles after class. Maybe I need an adrenaline rush every day...?

View the pictures at your own risk...



2 comments:

KS said...

That would have also been the day when I sold my house. I'm a chicken when it comes to snakes. EW, EW, EWWW!

Holly :) said...

EWWWW!!!! I didn't want to relive that moment! :) So glad my brave hubby saved the day...HA! And I'm even more glad that there wasn't a colony of them behind the toy chest! ICK!