Since we were all in our church clothes, we sat around and watched I Love Lucy on TV Land until it was time to go. At that point, I looked down to find that I had something on my shirt and needed to change clothes. Low and behold, almost everything I could find needed ironing or at least the steam cycle in the washer (which takes 20 minutes). After trying on a couple of other things and getting depressed at how I looked at them, I was really mad and called off the whole thing (really appropriate behavior when talking about going to church). I think I left out the part of the morning where Carter had several meltdowns - I think he was still tired from yesterday - and this is part of what took up so much of our time getting ready. He just kept doing things to try our patience, and at one point he dumped out his bag of fishie crackers on the floor and had to vacuum the place where he made a mess.
At some point during the morning, Carter told us a fascinating story (I love that his imagination is so wild at this age). It was about the Honky Donkey - which is actually a cat. No wait, a dog. Actually, it's a place. Santa Claus took Carter to see it on a Honky Reindeer. I'm not sure where he learned the word honky, or which meaning he's referring to, but it was quite the yarn. I love spending time talking with him lately - he cracks me up! Like last night in bed when I was trying to get him to go to sleep, and he was singing his "If your name is ___, stand up" song. He kept singing about Drake, his best friend at school, and then started saying "Drakie Milstead" in the funniest voice. I don't know why, but it was so hilarious to me that I couldn't contain my laughter. Well, that just fueled the fire and next thing I know, we are both laughing histerically and he's saying "Drakie Milstead" in every possible voice he can think of. Even though it was past bedtime, I had to ignore the clock and enjoy that moment with him - that was one of my favorite moments in recent memory.
Back to today... At naptime, Carter didn't want to go to bed. I finally just left him in his room even though he was upset with me. When Alan went to wake him up, this is what he found:
Nana, PawPaw and Jacob decided to come see the boys this afternoon. When they got here, they offered to let us go to see a movie while they watched the boys. I was a bit apprehensive - not because I didn't trust them, but because I have never left Charlie with anyone else in his whole little life for more than a very short period of time. Alan convinced me that we should take the opportunity, and so we were able to have a spontaneous mini-date (we saw The Dark Knight), and the boys got to spend some quality time with Nana, PawPaw and Jacob. Carter was sad to see them leave though, and he ran crying to put on his shoes so he could go outside and see them off. It's now 11:00, and he is JUST now settled for the night (poor thing!). Hopefully he will sleep late tomorrow - yeah, right! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment